Kelly Clarkson Describes Her "Weight Loss

Main menu

Pages

Kelly Clarkson Describes Her "Weight Loss

 Kelly Clarkson Describes Her "Weight Loss" Process: "My Doctor Has Been Listening to Me" (Exclusive)







For the fifth season of her popular talk show, the singer is living her new life as a single mother in New York City.


Clarkson, 41, currently resides in New York City as a single mother to her 9-year-old daughter River Rose and her 7-year-old son Remington Alexander. "I had been miserable in Los Angeles for a number of years. In this week's cover story, she tells PEOPLE, "I needed a fresh start."


Moving her popular talk show from Los Angeles to New York City, "We informed NBC that, for the sake of my mental well-being and that of my children, I simply cannot continue to live here.'" They were also struggling. I'd just been turning up, grinning, and doing what I was expected to for the past few years, but you can only separate yourself for so long before breaking."



These days, her typical free time is spent touring the city with her children, whom she shares with her 47-year-old ex-husband, Brandon Blackstock. We take the dogs for several walks in the park. My daughter will take me out, so we'll go get ice cream. We're going to the museum and we're going to make slime," she says.


  Kelly Clarkson on Overcoming Depression and a "Very Tough" Divorce: "I'm Regaining My Authority" (Exclusive)

Clarkson attributes her weight loss to their mobile hobbies. She claims that strolling through the city is quite the exercise. "And at the moment, I'm very into infrared saunas. Additionally, I simply took a deep dive because I was exhausted by everyone.


About her diet, she says, "I eat a healthy mix." I lost weight because I've been paying attention to my doctor; for a few years, I wasn't. And since I benefit from a high-protein diet anyhow, I'm pretty good at it ninety percent of the time. I'm a Texas gal, therefore I apologize to all vegans worldwide—I like meat!


After relocating to New York City, Clarkson was able to "be present" for her show, which was just nominated for a Critics Choice Award in the best talk show category (the only daytime show with a female host).

“I was going through a really difficult few years, and it was difficult behind closed doors even in the first season,” she explains. “Just to know that the dust has settled and to be able to enter season 5 feeling good and knowing my kids feel good.” For the first time, I'm truly enjoying every minute of Season 5.


What counsel would she give herself now, at the age of fifteen? “It will become more manageable,” says Clarkson. I've always been the type of person that can be a little harsh with themselves. “It won't happen anytime soon, but it will get easier eventually,” is what I would say. You're really going to have to get your sh*t together about 41."

Weekdays are when The Kelly Clarkson Show airs. See the local listings for the time and station.



Get a copy of PEOPLE this week, which is available on newsstands nationwide this Friday, to read more of Clarkson's exclusive interview.

Comments